How did Skanska IT Nordic turn its software testing routine around?
Skanska is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups with expertise in construction, development of commercial and residential premises and public-private partnership. Skanska IT Nordic offers services and support for Skanska operations in the Nordics and globally.
Skanska IT Nordic identified areas of improvement on the testing front for business critical systems that were not being appropriately prioritised due to the time and resource constraints and, therefore, took actions to improve the capabilities.
Wanted: Testing as a Service
It was Skanska IT Nordic’s strategic choice to use an external testing partner instead of doing it in-house.
– We did not need the full testing capacity in-house. We needed a partner with the capability to offer quality assurance and testing while the other vendors are developing the actual systems.
– Tieto came up with a well-prepared proposal on how to solve our quality assurance challenges. Among the factors that made us choose Tieto was that they had favourable licence agreements on test tools and a reasonable price, Carl-Johan Fryxell explains.
– Tieto was a natural choice for us since they have global delivery capabilities and, therefore, offer global sourcing of competent personnel. If we would have chosen a supplier with only local operations, we would face the risk of having more bottlenecks in the delivery.
Testing automation made the difference
Earlier, the testing process was somewhat omitted which caused quality issues.
– We wanted Tieto to do the testing for us regularly in order to be able to identify anomalies stemming from system development, says Carl-Johan Fryxell.
Tieto automated regression testing for a large ERP implementation (Oracle Fusion). Since Skanska in the Nordics has company-specific adjustments within ERP, they were in a situation where any upgrade of the system from Oracle can cause anomalies in their company environment. Therefore, the automated regression testing is vital to secure the robustness of the system, especially after any upgrades from Oracle.
- With Tieto’s automated regression testing, we can run the tests more frequently and more easily identify any flaws in the system. As a result of that, we can use our own resources where they create the most value.
– We are very satisfied with the quality assurance and testing partnership with Tieto. They understand our business and they have the resources we need. During the process, Tieto’s experts have always responded very quickly to our requests and have been easy to deal with. Continuous quality assurance improves our service quality and accelerates our ongoing business renewal, says Carl-Johan Fryxell.
Tieto was selected as a quality assurance and testing partner for Skanska IT Nordic in autumn 2016.